Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thursday was a long day

Well, it has definately been a long week. Last Friday we saw Christian's primary dr who went over everything that is Christian. He okayed Christian's surgery for Friday the 26th. Now come to Wednesday night. Christian is running a slight fever. Nothing that I am too concerned with but I kept him home from church with Daddy to be safe. Thursday morning, the fever is still there. Never over 100.1 but nevertheless still there. I was contemplating calling the dr but put it off hoping his fever would break. We, being the kids and I, went to the science center so the kids could have something to do. Christian stayed in his stroller and was a gem. He didn't complain at all. At 2:00 I checked his temp and it was still there so I began the calls to the dr.
The surgeon said that as long as his temp doesn't go above 100.5 then he could still do surgery. "Okay" I thought "It will be alright, no worries." But, he wanted us to go see our pediatrician to have him checked out. So I get an appointment at 3:15. We were just 5 mins away since we were already downtown so that was nice.
Once we got into the doctor we began a 2 1/2 appointment seeing a doctor that has NEVER seen Christian before because the doctor and NP we normally see were not there. Having four children in a little exam room was really trying on my patience. We did thumb wars, reading time, rock paper scissors, and they were still bored. Good thing I had 3 cookies in the diaper bag for the older kids and fishies for Christian to bribe them with.
Christian's ears were both bulging and red and the doctor was concerned with his breathing. We did an RSV test. Negative. "Thank God" Then the doctor wants to do a breathing treatment to see if it will help. They test his pulse ox, 94 is the result. Optimal is 100. This is his oxygen level. Another breathing treatment with another drug. Same result for the pulse ox test after both breathing treatments. I kept trying to tell the doctor that Christian always sounds "weezy" and his is a "noisy breather" but he didn't seem to care. He wanted to fix his breathing. Granted Christian was weezing a little more than normal, but his "normal" is different. On a good day people think he has a cold.
For the ear infections, the dr wants to do shots of rocefin. This is because they are so red and bulgy and the antibiotic would work quicker. With these shots you have to come back 3 days in a row to get the full dose. I reluctantly agree. In my head I was thinking that I remembered Tamara, the NP who is one of my favs, suggest this last time but we were trying to be optomistic. So we did the shot. This is a shot in both legs for three days. Painful for Christian but supposed to help. The surgery is cancelled! The doctor (pediatrician) said Christian isn't well enough.
So, no change in the breathing, the doctor thinks I will do nebulizer treatments at home, which why the heck would I? They don't do any good! And they haven't ever done any good for Christian. It seems to be something the dr's want to do to make themselves feel better. I really feel that his noisy breathing is part of his spina bifida; Arnold Chiari. But, could I get any of the dr's to tell me that. If anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know.
We left the doctor's office at 5:40pm. This is the time that I was supposed to be at school for Caleb's conferences. Then another at 6 and the last at 6:30. It didn't turn out the way we wanted but we got it done. We got to the school at 6:00. Colton ran in to meet Daddy for his conference while I stayed in the car with Caleb and Christian. Then at 6:30 Colton and Daddy came out and Maria and I went in for her conference.
It all worked out in the end. We got the kids conferences done, Christian got medicine to help him feel better and we had dinner at 8:00 pm. 30 mins after bed time. Now for the anticipation of when the surgery will be rescheduled for.

that's all for now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment